GCSE Core Subjects are the requirements for achieving the English Baccalaureate.
- English Language and Literature
- English Language – It develops students understanding of the spoken word and their ability to participate effectively in various speaking and listening activities. English Language GCSE or IGCSE is a requirement for many college courses and jobs.
- English literature – Students will learn to recognise and appreciate the ways in which writers use English to achieve a range of effects, exploring the impact of language, structure and form in the texts. Some colleges specify that applicants need GCSE or IGCSE English Literature.
- Maths – It is focused on the study of quantity, structure, space and change using different topics like algebra, calculus, construction, functions and geometry. Students will develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding in applying mathematical methods and concepts.
- Science – Science at GCSE level is studied through Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. (Single, Doubled or Triple).
Other subjects, especially religious studies, citizenship studies, computer science, or physical education are compulsory in some schools as these subjects form part of the National Curriculum.